Lose weight. Start that business. Finish that project. Find my soul mate. Become more prosperous. Volunteer more. Find my calling. Become a better spouse, parent, friend, etc. Are any of these on your list of intentions for 2017?
This is the time of year when we put all kinds of pressure on ourselves to make a new year’s resolution and hope with all out might that this is the year we’ll stick to it. If you are like me, you have failed miserably in the past at sustaining New Year’s resolutions. Until now that is! Recently, I discovered by going through a series of catastrophic changes in my life that we just are not properly trained on how to create positive, sustainable change. In fact, experts reveal that only 8% of people actually achieve their desired goal. After reading this, my curiosity got to work and I began researching how these folks accomplish success at navigating change.
Here is what my research uncovered:
- Envision a clear and concise goal with emotional electricity attached to it.
- Generate a realistic timeline with a workable plan and action steps.
- Hand write the goal down on several pieces of paper.
- Post the goals in highly visible areas (home, car, work, on personal devices, etc.)
- Visit these goals and envision the end result daily with that same level of emotional enthusiasm.
- Share the goal with someone you trust, who will support you and hold you accountable.
- Report your progress to that person weekly, monthly, etc.
- Celebrate every success along the way.
That’s the practical approach to making your resolution a reality. However, some people need to do some inner work to truly transform their lives. This was my personal experience. And during this time I discovered a six-stage process in the transformation cycle. In fact, I wrote a book on this topic entitled Staying Afloat During Tides of Change; How to Navigate the Six Stages of Transformation. When I combined effective goal-setting (as described above) with the six-stage process, my life path became a superhighway. So, if deep transformation is what you are seeking, then here are the 6 Stages of Transformation to help you succeed:
- Realize – Become the vision, outline specific details of what you look, act and feel like in this place.
- Release – Something needs to be let go so that we can create space for the new to arrive. (Behaviors, relationship, job, etc.)
- Rebound – Change usually generates stress regardless of how badly you want it. That is why it is vitally important to allow yourself time to rest, recover, rejuvenate and give yourself ample time to adapt to your new normal.
- Reinvent – This is the stage when you put your new vision into action by taking those first steps and begin practicing the new and improved you; courage and perseverance become your best companions.
- Resurrect – Once you begin mastering the behaviors that are in alignment with your highest self, you eventually become that person. This is when your new normal begins to feel comfortable and you’re on your way to your destiny.
- Respond – Anytime you have reached a place of your true purpose, there is a responsibility to help others. By helping other people get to where you are, you will automatically sustain and reinforce the change you encountered.
Wishing you a happy and healthy new year filled with abundance and all the positive change your heart desires. You can do it! I believe in you. After all, the ability to change is the greatest gift we have been given. Visit me at AngelCarlton.com or PowerUpPeople.net!
My New Years gift to you…a FREE Personal Transformation Worksheet so that you can begin making your desired change by taking these 6 essential steps now.